Pages

Monday, March 5, 2018

Making a Mission Statement Using Your Favorite Stories

I was inspired to make a list of all of my favorite stories and intended to do just that. I had no idea what number that would take me to, but I ended up stopping at 23. (I explain why at the end of the post). As I looked over my favorite stories; I saw patterns in what I appreciated about the stories and ended up creating a bit of a mission statement. It was a blessing to me and I hope it is to you too.

Here's how I did it.
I made a top 23 list of my favorite movies, books, and music artists. Then what?

Well, after I made my list, I wrote down one line summarizing what I liked about each story.

Next, I scanned over my one line summaries and looked for patterns. When I was able to identify some; I made a list.

Now I had a list of patterns. Then I compiled that list into one paragraph. Thus creating my Mission Statement!

The mission statement doesn’t encompass all of my dreams in life, but it reflects the man I want to be no matter my circumstances.

It was my favorite part of the post, but I'm not going to share it here right now. You'll do just fine creating your own.

Here's the process once more: Select a number of stories or go until you've gotten all of your favorite ones, and write a one line observation for each story summarizing what you like about it. View your observations, and extract patterns from them. Turn those patterns into a single paragraph. (And if you wish to, feel free to add scriptures within that paragraph.)

And there you have it. A personal mission statement!


Conclusion: 
That brings us to the end of this post. I’d like to encourage you to do something similar to this.

When I was making this list, I had wanted to list all of my favorite stories, but while I was making the list…I realized that all of the stories I cut out beyond my top 23 seemed to share the values I already had in my top 23 stories. Which I found interesting.

Did this post help you? Do you feel energized and motivated at all? Are you going to make a list like this? Can you see patterns in your favorite stories as you think about them?

Thanks for reading. God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts